1. Occasionally I hear very disturbing news: someone I know has committed adultery…
a. Who I thought was devoted to their spouse and their Lord
b. In some cases, it is a preacher, elder, deacon, or Bible class
c. Sometimes leaving spouse and children to live with their
2. My reaction is usually, “What are they thinking…?”
a. How can they do such a thing to their spouse and children?
b. How can they turn their back on the Lord who died for them?
c. Do they not know the terrible consequences of adultery?
3. Though not a pleasant subject, it is necessary to be frequently
a. The terrible price of the sin of adultery
b. How one can prevent the sin of adultery
[One of the best places to turn to is the book of Proverbs. In Pro 5:1-6, we find a warning against the bitter end of adultery (please read). Continuing with Pr 5:7-14 we are told of…]
I. THE PRICE OF ADULTERY
A. IT CAN COST YOUR WEALTH…
1. Solomon pleads with his children to stay away from the immoral woman – Pr 5:7-8
2. His first reason: “Lest you give your honor to others- Pr 5:9a
3. He reiterates: “Lest aliens be filled with your wealth, And
your labors go to the house of a foreigner.” – Pr 5:10
— Alimony and child support can eat away at your finances
B. IT CAN COST YOUR PHYSICAL HEALTH…
1. Solomon’s second reason: “…and your years to the cruel one.”
– Pr 5:9b
2. He adds: “And you mourn at last, when your flesh and body are
consumed.” – Pr 5:11
3. Bacterial STDs (e.g., chlamydia, syphilis, gonorrhea) are often brought on by immorality
4. Viral STDs (e.g., genital herpes, Hepatitis B, AIDS) are incurable
— Sexually transmitted diseases can eat away at your body
C. IT CAN COST YOUR MENTAL HEALTH…
1. You will be filled with self-recrimination: “How I hated instruction, and my heart despised correction! I have not obeyed the voice of my teachers, nor inclined my ear to those who instructed me!” – Pr 5:12-13
2. You will not forget what your parents, teachers, preachers, and true friends told you
3. As you recall the violent affects of divorce on your spouse (and on your children who will likely suffer the worst), you will berate your stupidity! – cf. Mal 2:16– Your conscience can eat away at your peace of mind
D. IT CAN COST YOUR REPUTATION…
1. As suggested by these words: “I was on the verge of total ruin, in the midst of the assembly and congregation.” – Pro 5:14
2. People do not take lightly the sin of adultery – cf. Pro 6:27-35
3. Can a person be trusted who would lie to their spouse?
— Your unfaithfulness can eat away at your reputation
[Adultery destroys one’s wealth, body, soul, and reputation.
Forgiveness is possible (1Co 6:9-11), but many affects of adultery
continue throughout one’s life. Much better for one to take to
II. THE PREVENTION OF ADULTERY
A. LOVE YOUR SPOUSE…
1. Rejoice with the wife of your youth; be enraptured by her love
– Pr 5:15-19; cf. Ec 9:9
a. Husbands, love your wives as Christ loved the church – Ep 5:
b. Wives, learn to love your husbands – Tit 2:3-4
2. Why be enraptured by an adulteress (adulterer) and seductress
(seducer)? – Pr 5:20
a. One’s true character is revealed by their immorality
b. If they commit adultery with you, they are likely to commit
adultery against you!
— Enraptured love is commanded, which means it can be learned (and relearned)
B. LOVE YOUR LORD…
1. The Lord is omniscient, and sins will have their effect – Pro
a. He sees all – Pr 15:3
b. God will judge fornicators and adulterers – He 13:4
c. When one sins against the Lord, their sins will be exposed
– Num 32:23
2. How much better to love the Lord, and be loyal to Him
a. He looks for those loyal to Him – cf. 2Ch 16:9; Mt 22:37
b. Joseph’s devotion to God prevented him from being tempted
– cf. Gen 39:7-10
c. The Lord blessed Joseph because of his faithfulness – cf.
Gen 39:21; 41:50-52
— Those who love the Lord foremost, love their spouses forever!
1. The price of adultery is terrible…
a. Which too many learn by sad experience
b. Which all can avoid by heeding God’s Word
2. The prevention of adultery is possible when our love is in the right place…
a. Loving the Lord with all our heart
b. Loving our spouses with God’s blessing
Do not destroy the lives of so many with misdirected affection…!
(Culled from an internet source)